Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Victoria & Albert Museum




I continued my walk before, and this seems to happen often, suddenly coming upon an enormous and magnificent piece of architecture… what looked like a cathedral was infact the Victoria & Albert Museum. It was breathtaking… The building alone would have been enough to impress me, however walking in and initially absorbing the magnitude of the building, and the contents there in… my breath was taken from me.

A little man at a little desk asked to see in my bag before I ascended the stairs and was taken into another world. The first room was filled with fashion from the ages, from the garments of Henry the 8th, to the fashion of the 60s, 70s (and for no particular reason I could gather) the 80s… Everything was so perfectly presented with information regarding the inspiration for all of this attire. I wanted so badly to touch and feel the material, to put some of the clothes on. I imagined who would have worn this and that and was moved. A museum to me is not a building of old “stuff”, it contains the echoes of memories of the past, people who used, touched and saw the things that I was now perusing. I didn’t even consider that I would be this amazed by something so provencal as a museum… but then, my concept of museums was a 1 minute walk in the WA Museum… and that rarely changed.

I continued my adventure, reviewing my map momentarily before casting it into my bag. I just wanted to wander, and wander aimlessly, to appreciate what ever I came across. I’m not really one for reading the information about certain things, I feel that it takes away from the object itself. I prefer to stand and absorb it and appreciate it for what it is, rather than what it was. I have a terrible memory at the best of times so it was magnificent to be alone and to do this my way. There were tours going on and I listened briefly, watching the tourists milling around… I know I wont remember what they say and that I am in just as much awe when I don’t know the history of a thing, than when I do. Give me a date and a place, and I’m happy.

There was a room that I found a little too much to stay in for too long, the need to play with the objects was too intense, but I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I wandered around it. It was musical instruments throughout time, piano’s, harpsichords, violins, guitars, drums from different parts of the world. It was silent in there but in my mind… it was so loud. I imagined the people who would have stood around and played, the discussions they would have had, the concerts and emotions and… well it was all too much. There were great big draws, about two times the size of me, that you could pull out to discover even more instruments, all lit up and labelled. Again, the organisation of this place is perfect. I was simply dying to play one of the ancient piano’s, to hear the notes ring out. Being around these instruments felt like I was in a church, there was a sense of reverence that came over me. I had to run…

I walked back up the stairs only to discover another hall that took me to the “sculpture” rooms… I have recently come to the realisation that I love sculpture above most other forms of art. I am moved by a good painting, but a sculpture… to bring something to life, to form… from the imagination. It gives a person the opportunity to enter the painting. I always wished that I could jump into certain paintings… especially the surreal, but here, you could be in the presence of Eve, of David… the Prodigal Son. Einstein was watching as I spoke with Queen Victoria, Aphrodite considered the babe in arms across the hall. There were amazing pillars in the centre that rose up before you, all with intricate designs. I don’t know how to describe it. It was an assault of the senses. I was overwhelmed. I almost wished that there was less… my eyes were darting from one side of the room to the other in awe. I wanted to touch the sculptures, I wanted to own them, to take them home and sit with them. I didn’t realise how passionate I am about some of them. Eve was my favourite. As I said, I don’t remember dates and names very well, I don’t know who this was by, but I couldn’t help but stand and stare at her, her face so sad, but peaceful, as if she was accepting her fate. I like the think that the artist was imagining Eve moments after she had eaten the apple, before she put clothes on, when she realised that the innocence of her life was over and she accepted her fault. It really is stunning… I wish I could describe it better, to make you feel it.

It wouldn’t be hard to write an entire book about the Victoria and Albert Museum, but I suspect those who are reading this have already gone to sleep! I spose I wanted to get across the shock and awe… I will go back there again, there is just far too much to see. From art to utensils used in Roman times, the jewellery section alone is fascinating with jewellery from across the globe and across the aeons. There is a section dedicated to metal work, another to all the different parts of Asia, the different centuries of Europe…. Its just too much. I wish I could be there alone for a week.

After hours of perusing and gasping and dreaming I finally made my way out of the museum and into the colder climate. The weather had changed since my entrance and as I breathed puffs of clouds escaped my mouth. I tucked my head harder into my white and black beret, pulled my coat closer to my flesh and directed myself toward the Royal Albert Hall.

I promised Nigel that I wouldn’t go to the Natural History or Science Museums as we would hopefully go there together in a few months time once he arrived in the UK.I glanced at the Natural History Museum, which, to say the least, is simply vast. Out the front of this astronomical building men were working tirelessly to set up an ice skating ring. I wrote on my list to definitely return in t dead of winter to get some skates and dance under the stars. This was truly what being in England was about. I had heard also that there is an ice skating rink in Trafalga Square, supposedly even larger than this. Without a doubt I will be there with the preverbial bells on. I cant contain my excitement. I only with that Tiffany was there to do it with, its something we have spoken about often and I’m sure we’ll get to do one day.

So keeping my eyes on the goal, as the cold was indeed setting in with no consideration for the girl with a green scarf from the Southern Hemisphere, I came upon Hyde Park. Hyde Park is the other side of Kensington Gardens and is huge. The park goes on for various blocks and from the out skirts looks even more impressive than St James. Yet another thing to ad to my list of “things to re-do”. There is too much to see in a day… to a certain degree I was beginning to understand the concept of “less is more”, atleast with Perth you often had the pleased feeling that you had conquered this. I don’t know how many years it would take to conquer London…

Within Hyde Park there is yet another amazing statue, everywhere you turn there seems to be another feat of beauty. People running and walking past it without a glance, they are so used to being in the presense of such extraordinary works of art. Statues that have been standing there for longer than Australia has been a recognised state of the Commonwealth. Pocohantas came to visit this great city long before Australia was any more than a prison for bread-stealing working class Englishmen. I couldn’t help getting angry at the fact I couldn’t take it all in, not used to the ease in which a statue like this can simply exist, standing there, watching over the years… And all I could do was take a photo.

Opposite to Hyde Park sits Royal Albert Hall. As everyone knows this is where the music of the years rings out. Singing out. Famous bands, orchestra’s, singers, opera, musicians of all shapes, sizes and nationalities. I’ve not gone inside as yet, but the building itself was a site to be admired. I went into the gift store and purchased a few post cards to send home and took a pamphlet advising of times and costs for a tour. I don’t really have much intention on going on a whole heap of tours, preferring to discover things myself and feel a sense of accomplishment for this, however the Royal Albert Hall is different. I am dying to stand on that stage and imagine a full house staring back at me. Dying to see the stalls, the gods, the tears upon tears of seats, let alone the dome that is adorned with stained glass.

Out the front of the building is yet another statue… and as I walked back down the stairs and onto the road I smiled knowing that I would be back here again soon to discover the depths of this place. I couldn’t believe my luck at being so close… finally

This was just the beginning of my theatrical discoveries, so many more were to come. However for the moment I was tired and cold and finding it difficult retaining everything I had seen in my day. I needed to warm my hands and identify a quick route home before the peak hour traffic started. It was already 4pm and I needed to get a move on.

Walking back from Royal Albert Hall Mark called to check up and ensure that I hadn’t been mugged or kidnapped. All was well, I advised that my face was beginning to freeze off and I was in dyre need of a tea. As I walked along I noticed homeless people setting up camp along the walk-ways. They had their cups set up ready for the collection of money (cleverly they were wearing gloves, while I, stupidly, was not). One of the homeless gentlemen were drawing on the pavement with chalk. He was creating an image of a sailing ship plunging into rough seas as the sun set murkily into the background. It was very impressive, and another man (oddly dressed with a bowler hat and ratty red coat) was having a chat to the artist. I smiled thinking of Mary Poppins and the lady on the stairs selling bread for tuppins a bag.

I went back to the café strip that I had visited outside of Harrods. I walked into “Concerto” which was run by some French people who didn’t look overly impressed with me, apparently I had not done the appropriate thing by waiting outside in the cold for someone to come and help me. One French speaking man with a very strong accent asked how he could help me in a rather curt manner, I said “I need tea, water and a seat”… not being rude, trying to add an air of humour to my comment given how red raw my hands were from my traipsing through the city in the midst of winter… he, however didn’t find this overly amusing. I was ushered to a seat and brought my desired drinks. I took out my diary, pen and map and started to list the things that I had seen during the day while everything was fresh in my mind. I took to the map and identified the quickest underground route home, while sipping the tea and enjoying the warmth on my hands and lips.

My lips were cracked from the cold and I imagined that I too, looked like a crazy homeless person, possibly explaining why the French waiter was not impressed at my entrance to his perfectly respectable café.

Keeping in mind that I had had some lunch earlier, in a very cosy and welcoming place. The food having been delicious and all of it costing only 6 pound I was slightly shocked and offended when my bill was brought to me… 5pound for a tea and water! I was shocked but have heard that one does not argue with a French person who doesn’t like you in the first place, I left in horror… this will not be going on my list of things to ‘re-do’.

London is known to be expensive for tourists, however I imagine that this is due to tourists going to the swanky looking bars, restaurants and paying for tours… I believe that I have now learnt my very early lesson.

I headed off to the tube station, having identified a suitable 2 stop route and continued my journey home. I arrived back at the house after the sun had descended, it was about 6pm and as I opened the door (aware that no one was inside) I let out a loud “TA-DUM!’ and fell onto the stairs with tiredness and happiness. I had completed my first mission.

I crept easily into bed about 9.30pm, my eyes could not stay awake any longer and I was unable to make any intelligent conversation. I felt pleased with my experience and very much looked forward to new adventures in the morning.

No comments: