Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tooting & Around

Mark took me out to Tooting in the afternoon, it had been intended that we would head to Tooting in the morning but three cups of teas and hours of conversation later we ended up pottering off.

Tooting is about the size of Perth... but if you think that Melbourne in dirty... I would suggest that you dont come here. The actual streets themselves are chewing-gum ridden. It is quite smelly and very busy, cars running around, taxis and big busses. The roads make no sense to me, turning here and there and people wandering across the streets infront of the cars... there are lights and shops and markets and... well the noise is just so new to what I've preiously experienced.

We went off to the main shops... that was interesting... the thing I was most fascinated by was the mini cartons of milk, I've never seen such small cartons of milk... very impressive indeed and next time I see one I shall take a happy snap and send it to you! The shop is very large and most of the food shops sell alcohole in them... that's all very interesting. Even the shops were busy, in the middle of the day during the week.

Mark and I were on a mission to buy some ham and cheese for my ham and cheeseand tomato sauce sandwhiches, tweezers, shampoo and conditioner, moisterizer and all the special normal things that we lovely women need. We went from store to store before deciding it was time to head home because my sleepyness was making its way back in... however on the wander back we found the most adorable little pub and decided to have a 'cheeky one' as Mark calls it... about 4 drinks after (each) and ALOT of conversation we then made our way back to the house where I immediately popped off to bed and hoped never to wake up again because I was so unbelievably tired.

The next day Kelly's Mum, Linda, took me back into Tooting and left me to my own devices. I headed to the bank (Natwest) and sorted out my bank account which should be up and running next week. I went to the Job centre to arrange a tax file number (which here they call a National Insurance Number) and also went for a bit of a general wander. They have little markets here (which are about as big as Freo markets) but there wasn't all that much fascinating to see in them. There was a pet store that only stocked fish and birds and next door there was a fish monger... which I thought was quite ironic.

Heading back home I thought that was more than enough for the day and decided to do some reading and chatting and showering and prepare for the next day. I sat in the lounge for quite some time rifling through my maps and travel guides and identifying how I would get where and where I would go on my first adventure out to the world all alone.

No comments: